Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Dance

I haven't posted anything about dance (even though my girls were in it all year last year) because I don't know how to load/edit clips off my video camera.  I've decided that I may never actually take the time to read my manual and figure it out, so I might as well just post the pics I have, and show the video later if I ever become less lazy.  If you see me regularly, I DO have a DVD that you can watch if you want to actually see them dance. 

Last year I learned that a dance studio close to my house is offering special needs dance classes.  I was THRILLED! I loved going to dance when I was growing up, but never planned to put my kids in it since I wouldn't want Lydia to feel bad.  Lydia's special needs class was a jazz/ballet combo and Meleah was in tumbling.  Lydia's first performance was at the festival of trees, and she did SO good!  The other little boys that were in her class weren't able to go, so she had to do her dance ALL BY HERSELF!  I admit I was a little nervous that she'd get up there, see all the people, and either bail, or stand there like a statue. But she didn't!  She did SO GOOD, and I was totally bawling through the entire thing - I was so proud!

Meleah's first performance was a couple of weeks later at the winter recital.  She was so energetic and cute.  I seriously wish I could post a dang video! 
Lydia's classmate Jonathan was able to go to the recital so she had a performing buddy this time. 


The girls had more performances in the spring at their spring recital, the Pony Express Days carnival, and the Exceptional Kids Club at the elementary school.  It was fun to see how much they'd improved over the few months they were in dance.  Lydia didn't even use her canes, and was able to bend over and pick up her bat prop.
It was really cute to see Lydia's classmate Derrick watching her to see which move was next.  I wish Lydia didn't have crazy eyes in all the pics I took of her performance!
 Meleah's the 4th one from the left.  This "backbend with an alligator chomp" is one of her favorite moves. 

 
 
 The girls LOVED being able to wear "REAL makeup."

We're taking a little break from dance right now because of Lydia's hip surgery, but my girls are SO EXCITED to start up again in January.  They're even going to be in a Jazz/Ballet class together this year.  I can't wait!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

AW! I totally want to see the video! How cute that they get to be in the same class next time. They look so cute and I got teary-eyed just reading about Lydia's solo performance, I can't imagine watching it! So cute :)

Ben and Taryn said...

Love this and makes me so happy to see Lydia experiencing things like dance. Meleah does quite the nice back bend lol. Such cute girls.

nicole said...

That is so awesome! I love hearing about the young kids I used to work with and how well they are doing! Great job Lydia!

The Brownlemmons said...

Candy, I have a dvd burner on my computer at home. If you want to bring your dvd to my house, & we can burn it to the hard drive and upload it onto the blog. It isn't too difficult.