Friday, September 19, 2008

Politics, Anyone?

It has come to my attention that in surrounding myself with people that listen to Rush, Sean, and Glenn all day long while they're at work, I may not be getting a fair assessment of Democratic candidate Barack Obama. Therefore, Obama fans (I know you're out there!), I would truly like to know what you love about him. Right now all I've heard is that he voted repeatedly to allow live-birth abortions, he has several questionable associates (Wright, Pfleger, Ayers, Rezko), that his wife has just recently become proud of her country, and of course that Lindsey Lohan is endorsing him. All but the last one are not things that I really enjoy about him.

Unfortunately for Barack these are my beliefs:

I'm pro-life. I would be totally happy with the overturning of Roe vs. Wade. I think that Roe regretting the results herself should tell us something about that legislation.

I don't want government healthcare, period. I've already spent enough time filling out paperwork, holding to be transferred yet again, and waiting for mail/ phone calls from the government to last me a lifetime.

I would love it if there was some parental choice, and a little healthy competition in our school systems.

I think McCain has more experience and would be more likely to have success with the war in Iraq.

I'm totally down with drilling in the wastelands of Alaska.

I'm Anti-taxes (yes, even for the rich people who would subsequently just raise prices on their products to make their profits.)

I think the welfare system is corrupt.

That being said, there is probably no way that anyone is going to sway me to vote for Obama. And let's face it, I live in Utah, so it doesn't really matter anyway. However, I would really love it if there was SOMETHING that I could agree with Obama on so that if he does win the election, I won't be totally devastated. Is there anything, or am I just too dang conservative?

14 comments:

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

You are certainly not going to find an Obama fan here. I am McCain all the way and the fact that Sara Pallin is totally against abortion, for our right to bear arms, and is a conservative wins big with me too. Sorry, but I have serious issue with someone named Barack Hussein Obama running my country and A LOT of the other things that he is ok with like the government health care you mentioned and the abortion issue and that he's ok with gays getting married and having the same rights as us heterosexuals. Sorry, to go off, and I think it's great that you are willing to have an open mind. :)

Tara said...

Candy,
All I can say is amen sista to all of the points you made. I'll admit, I was dazzled by his speaches, and I felt he was honest and straightforward with people. However, I can't translate that to a reason to vote for someone who has very little in common with me in views. Giving more money to a corrupt system will not help those who really need it. I have lived below the poverty line, yet still we managed to get by without welfare. Heck, even a family of three with a husband going to school and making only ten bucks an hour can't even qualify! :) So basically, I don't think you can be a working person and be on welfare. And frankly, most people who I have seen on it,(and I saw a lot during my time in mississippi frankly) spend their whole lives on it, teach their children the same habits, and don't ever improve themselves. Often, they are in a downward spiral of drugs(both using and selling) and alcohol. Or at least are the product of a moral problem where the women have tons of children, often from different fathers, and never get married even if they are in a relationship. So they teach these patterns to their poor sweet children who often end up in the same rut. They follow these patterns, because if they actually got a job, or got married they wouldn't qualify. So to dig themselves out of the rut they have to do it on their own. Don't get me wrong, I feel for these people. I just don't think our current system helps those who want to get out and make something of themselves. And I don't think the help goes to enough of those who really need it. In most cases I have witnessed, it goes to those who know how to work the system. And it isn't like these government systems are that easy to work with anyway!!! They make no apology for being incompitent and unhelpful. And who is going to fight them, and force an overhaul of the system; or hold their employees accountable for the things they do? Or change the way they do them? That is what I would like to hear about in washington, not just whether the system needs more money or not.
Sorry to anyone who is an honest person and getting help in this way, and is trying to go somewhere with their life and eventually get off welfare, I just haven't seen any good come out of our welfare system. :) And don't get me started on the abortion issues, not to mention his lack of experience and my general disdain for all of the leading democrats in the legislative branch. You know, the ones who are so busy holding to the party line that they don't even care what those who voted them in think. Let alone their own moral compasses or the fact that they are being paid a generous salary to spend half of their time trying to pass bills that are in no way a compromise and therefore have NO CHANCE of passing. And knowing this, they still waste our time and money trying to push them through all the while blaming someone else for the lack of change in washington. All the while the important things in our country like our financial well being, go in the toilet...It's okay, they can just blame the president. I just think it's funny that if the houses could actually work together to find a compromise on SOMETHING the president's veto would not matter anyway. Oh crap, I went off again. Sorry, I just don't really want to give more control to Reid and Pelosi :) I can just imagine the mess they would make, if they had a president willing to sign on all of the changes that go against what I and frankly the majority of america want...

Tara said...

Sorry for my rant to all of you for Obama. I am as curious about the points you like about him as Candice. Please don't let me discourage your posts...We really do want to hear the other side.

The Brownlemmons said...

I am on of those who has really lost faith in the government. I really don't think it matters who you put in the white house. The country will continue to battle itself on stupid trivial points that make no difference. Until the whole system is overhauled it will remain the same. The Democrats and the Republicans fight on every major issue, and nothing ever gets achieved. Meanwhile they agree to raise the amounts they get for their "service" as well as try to figure out ways to save wealthy corporations that have made terrible financial decisions. I know that they are trying to keep another depression from happening, but taxing the poor to make sure the rich keep their money just doesn't seem like an appropriate decision.

Connie and Rob said...

I was leaning toward Obama until Sara Pallin joined the race. I'm just tired of the same faces and the same rhetoric. "Fresh" might not be better, and it might not be as experienced, but at least it won't be history repeating itself over and over again. Let's make a few new mistakes. If the democratic party had any moral courage, I'd want to give them a chance. But, under the circumstances, I'm kind of hoping the Republicans have a chance to try to recoup. P.S. My opinions almost exactly match Candice on the issues.

Rachel said...

So, I've been SUPER busy with school the past week and haven't gotten a chance to respond, but I thought that I better, even though I'm a bit late, since I think this post was SORT OF aimed towards Cari and I. he he. :) Yes, yes... I am an Obama supporter. I, of course, am against abortion and gay marriage as well, but as for some of the other things... I don't really base someone's character on their associations (and feel that the media brings forward whatever associations they feel will hurt the candidate's chances, and none of their good ones) and I don't believe that Obama's wife just recently became proud of her country. I think she might have worded something stupidly, but I don't know why she would travel the country and campaign for her husband to be president if she didn't truly recognize and take pride in this country's history. Maybe I'm naive or something, but I don't think anyone who is raised in this country can really say that they aren't proud of it.

You know how I feel about those conservative talk show hosts, Candice lol. I mean, I love Glenn, but the others?! Telling the public to vote for Hilary for ANY reason makes me unable to trust their opinions on anything ha ha ha. I think it's screwy to mess with the process that way as well. Anyways, Sorry... tangent. I'll admit that I'm sort of in the middle or even with McCain on some issues. Ultimately, I'm just SO sick of party politics and politicians making laws based on other motives than the people's wants or needs. I feel, and don't expect anyone else to feel the same way, that Obama would actually look at the issues and take opinions from the experts and make educated decisions for the people. I gotta say, I love that Obama is a newbie because he's not quite as skilled at the political game as the older, more experienced players. I particularly prefer his plans on the economy, education, defense, health care, and a few other areas. I've looked at both of the candidates' websites extensively and there's simply more issues that I agree with on Obama on. I guess I really do want Change! Ha ha. Sorry… couldn’t resist. (Everyone should check out this cartoon… it’s amazing: http://www.peteyandpetunia.com/VoteHere/VoteHere.htm) I don't get a great vibe from McCain's page or his speeches partially cause he has some blatantly false information about Obama on the web page, but yeah. I definitely feel that family, education, the economy, etc are some super important issues and I think Obama’s proposed policies really show that he wants to help the people of our country. I am willing to admit though that I am dazzled because some of his speeches really move me.  Call me crazy (and you probably will ha ha) but I feel really good about the prospect of Obama running the country. Perhaps it’s hippie talk to say that I’m voting for Obama because it feels right and McCain gives me a bad vibe, but that is part of it.

Anyways, This whole schpeel (sp?)/ novel may seem totally vacant to you and maybe it makes me less moral to group myself with people who are for abortion and gay marriage, but I think that the country needs to take a different direction in their law-making, foreign policy, and the everyday workings in Washington. If it takes voting for a Democrat to do that, then that’s what I’ll do. Sorry for the novel! Maybe we can have a face-to-face conversation about this while I’m here in Utah! He he. I’m sure Randall would love that :D Love ya!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

By the way, for the funny cartoon, you have to add a .htm to the end of the link.

I also wanted to say that I like Obama's honesty. He explains SOME of the rumors about him on his website, if you want to see how he responds to them. Anywho... I'm REALLY done now :D Love ya!

Candice said...

Yay Rachel! I've been waiting for you! I'm pretty sure that we are both pretty set in our opinions...and liking Obama for his plans on the economy, education, defence, etc. are not "vacant" reasons at all. We just disagree, and that's totally cool. I even get what you're saying about having a vibe. I think that's the main reason I don't like Michelle Obama even more than because of her not very smart comments. She just seems cold to me, but I'm not a huge fan of Cindy either. You all know I love me some Laura Bush! These girls don't compare. I also agree with you on the party politics thing. Unfortunately, there are just too many things on the Democratic ticket that I don't agree with, and Barack's about the most liberal senator there is. I don't see him "choosing the right," Ü no matter what the public opinion is about it. He'll be no different than Harry Reid in my opinion. One of the things I don't like about McCain is how liberal he is for a Republican. That's how conservative I am! Ü I have to tell you though, one of my pinchingyourpennies.com friends introduced me to this website called factcheck.org and I LOVE it! It truly is nonpartisan. You should really check it out. You may find out that Obama's a little better at the dishonest political games than you think. Ü Don't worry, they list all of McCain's crap too! It'll give you some great debate info for the next time you're discussing politics with Randall! Anyway, we both know that all the incomplete facts and mudslinging isn't what matters anyway. It all comes down to who's plans you prefer, and both of us already have our minds made up about those. Cari, we're still waiting for your 2 cents! And anyone else that wants to add more info, of course.

Rachel said...

awesome... Thanks for the link. It's hard to find TRULY non-partisan sources these days! I agree. I think a lot of it comes down to different opinions on some of the issues. I'm excited to look at that link AND excited to see you on Saturday! :)

Heatherbether said...

Uh, my six year old likes Obama because he is black. And I guess if I want really, really long comments I should post something political on my blog!