Saturday, May 5, 2012

Our Song

For our anniversary I compiled a collection of songs (a "mixed tape" if you will) that all remind me of Randall.  I have always connected moments in time with songs.  As Trisha Yearwood says: "The song remembers when."  I love how every time I hear the Judds I think of Julia, or Mick Jagger I think of Marie (who can dance EXACTLY like him, by the way), or Leah with  Faith Hill's "This Kiss", Lindsey's probaby going to hate hers, but they are "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Shameless".   All my college roommates are Dixie Chicks and TLC...
I have a song for each of my kids as well.
Carter - "The Reason" by Hoobastank
This song became really popular when Carter was just starting to talk.  Apparently they played it a lot on the radio, because I didn't even have the CD.  One day it came on while we were running errands and he just started singing it in the back seat of the car.  It was SO cute, I couldn't help but internalize the words of the song and will always connect them to my Carter-Cutie.  The words aren't totally perfect (I've never done anything particularly horrible to Carter, and I'm not going anywhere), but still somewhat apply to my relationship with him.  I do want to become a better person for him, and all of my kids.
The Reason
I'm not a perfect person
There's many things I wish I didn't do
But I continue learning
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say before I go
That I just want you to know
I've found a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
and the reason is you
I'm sorry that I hurt you
It's something I must live with everyday
And all the pain I put you through
I wish that I could take it all away
And be the one who catches all your tears
Thats why I need you to hear
I've found a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
and the reason is You
I've found a reason to show
A side of me you didn't know
A reason for all that I do
And the reason is you
Lydia - "In My Daughter's Eyes" by Martina Mcbride
This became Lydia's song before she was even born.  They played it on the radio A LOT during my pregnancy with her.  I was obviously a bit stressed-out and emotional at the time, but I totally connected with what she was singing.  EVERY WORD in that song is exactly how I feel about my sweet Lyddies.  I still tear up to this day every time I hear it.
In My Daughter's Eyes
In my daughter's eyes,
I am a hero,
I am strong and wise,
And I know no fear,
But the truth is plain to see,
She was sent to rescue me,
I see who I want to be,
In my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes,
Everyone is equal,Darkness turns to light,
And the world is at peace,
This miracle god gave to me,
Gives me strength when I am weak,
I find reason to believe,
In my daughter's eyes

And when she wraps her hand around my finger,
How it puts a smile in my heart,
Everything becomes a little clearer,
I realize what life is all about,
It's hanging on when your heart has had enough,
It's giving more when you feel like giving up,
I've seen the light,
It's in my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes,
I can see the future,
A reflection of who I am and what will be,
And though she'll grow and someday leave,
Maybe raise a family,
When I'm gone I hope you see,
How happy she made me,
For I'll be there,
In my daughter's eyes. 
Meleah - "Blessed" by Martina Mcbride
So apparently Martina just gets me.  This song was popular when Meleah was born, and once again captured how I was feeling at the time PERFECTLY.  I'm SO BLESSED to have my little Elly Jelly.
Blessed
I  get kissed by the sun
Each morning
Put my feet on a hardwood floor
I get to hear my children laughing
Down the hall through the
Bedroom door
Sometimes I sit on my
Front porch swing
Just soaking up the day
I think to myself, I think to myself
This world is a beautiful place
[Chorus]
I have been blessed
And I feel like I've found my way
I thank God for all I've been given
At the end of every day
I have been blessed
With so much more than I deserve
To be here with the ones
That love me
To love them so much it hurts
I have been blessed

Across a crowded room
I know you know what I'm thinking
By the way I look at you
And when we're lying in the quiet
And no words have to be said
I think to myself, I think to myself
This love is a beautiful gift
[Chorus]
When I'm singing my kids to sleep
When I feel you holding me
I know
[Chorus]

Cameron - "Bad" by Michael Jackson
So I'll eventually change his, since it's obviously not as heart-felt as the others.  I'll admit, I do like the song, but it's not exactly what I usually go for when it comes to my songs for my kids.  However, Cameron LOVES this song.  It's the first song I ever heard him sing when there's no music playing.  And there's seriously nothing funnier than hearing him run around the house singing "I'm bad, I'm bad, you know it, you know!"  I'm hoping someday we'll come across another song that has more of a connection with the lyrics, but I think it will have to be somewhat rock-and-roll-esque if Cameron's going to be on board. 
(I'm not including the lyrics, because they're not what make me think of Cameron, although he can be bad sometimes...)
Savanna - "You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker
Savanna's is a little different because her song wasn't recently released, or particular popular a the time of her birth, but it was seriously STUCK in my head for months after she was born.  It was just meant to be our song I guess.  I think it's because she is "so beautiful to me." She's "everything I've hoped for," and "everything I need."  Love my Savanna Baby! 
You Are So Beautiful
You are so beautiful
To me
You are so beautiful
To me
Can't you see
You're everything I hope for
You're everything I need
You are so beautiful to me
You are so beautiful to me
You are so beautiful
To me
Can't you see
You're everything I hope for
You're every, everything I need
You are so beautiful to me
Randall's CD ended up being over 50 songs, and I could have added more!  Anything Van Halen, Journey, Michael Buble, Styx, Eagles, Metallica S & M, Bee-Gees, (I know, it's a seriously weird compilation)... Our original "song" was "Finally Found the Love of a Lifetime" by Firehouse, along with a few other 80's rock ballads and random love songs we put on our wedding video.  On our wedding day we danced to my Uncle Kelly singing "I love the Way You Love Me" by John Michael Montgomery, and it's kinda held the forefront since then.  However, we have TONS of songs that have somehow or another become memorable over the years.  I'm so glad that I can remember fun times with my honey randomly throughout the day just by listening to the radio.

I Love the Way You Love Me
I like the feel of your name on my lips
And I like the sound of your sweet gentle kiss
The way that your fingers run through my hair
And how your scent lingers even when your not there
And I like the way your eyes dance when you laugh
And how you enjoy your two hour bath (shower)
And how you convinced me to dance in the rain
With everyone watching like we were insane
But I love the way you love me
Strong and wild
Slow and easy
Heart and soul
So completely
I love the way you love me

I like to imitate old Jerry Lee
And watch you roll your eyes when I'm slightly off key
And I like the innocent way that you cry
At sappy old movies you've seen hundreds of times
But I love the way you love me
Strong and wild
Slow and easy
Heart and soul
So completely
I love the way you love me\
And I could list a million things
I love to like about you
But they all come down to one reason
I could never live without you

I love the way you love me
Strong and wild
Slow and easy
Heart and soul
So completely
I love the way you love me
Oh baby I love the way you love me

1 comment:

Ben and Taryn said...

That was a really neat post Candy! So special for your kids and hubby.