Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bad Day

So I woke up this morning feeling energized and motivated to finish EVERYTHING on my to-do list.  (Yes, I make lists.)  It's pretty long right now because my house is a sty and we're going camping this weekend.  Well, I spent the day cleaning up unexpected messes, removing a cup that was stuck in my disposal, and taking care of a sneezy/runny nose/teething baby. Therefore, when it was time to go pick up the kids from school I had only crossed about 1 1/2 things off my list.  At this point I'm feeling a little stressed and admittedly a bit grumpy.
   I arrived at the school and discovered that Lydia had fallen on her way around the school and was bleeding from her nose and mouth.  The bleeding stopped and I calmed her down by telling her we were going to stop by the library to pick up a book for Carter's book report.  Carter rode his bike to the school so he followed me to the library (which is not far from the school or my house.)  We got some books and as I was waiting in line to check out I noticed that Carter had gone outside.  I wasn't too worried since he's ridden home from school tons of times and it's pretty much on the same route. I checked out my books, then went home.  Once I arrived, I realized that Carter wasn't there yet.  I started driving around the neighborhoods and after about twenty minutes I frantically called in the troops (my father- and sister-in-law.)  I went home to wait for him and they started searching.  After another thirty minutes of searching my father-in-law talked to the sheriff and they started looking for him also.  I posted it on facebook and many of our sweet neighbors joined the search.  One of them finally found him and brought him home to us.  Apparently Carter has my sense of direction because he was in a totally different area than we thought he would be.
     During the chaos I found out that President Hughes, a wonderful man that Randall worked with in the Stake Presidency, lost his battle with cancer today.  It reminded me of the day I found out that Lydia had spina bifida.  We were driving home from our doctor's appointment and saw someone getting pulled over.  I remember thinking, "I bet they think THEY'RE having a bad day."  I bet the Hughes family would think the same thing about me today.  We are extremely grateful to have known President Hughes.  Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife and children and we hope they feel comforted during this difficult time.
     So, I only finished 1 1/2 of the  things on my list today, but I'm going to bed feeling very blessed.  Blessed to have all my kids home safe in their beds.  Blessed to have such amazing family and friends.  And most of all blessed to have the gospel in my life to help me realize what's REALLY important, and to get me through bad days.

1 comment:

Ben and Taryn said...

Oh goodness Candice, hugs sent your way.