Thursday, June 7, 2012

CRAZY Busy End of School

I'm SO excited that summer is finally here!  We've been so busy the last couple of months, and I  haven't had time to blog about it.  This is what we've been up to -

I went with Carter on his field trip to Thanksgiving Point to watch a 3D dinosaur movie, and explore their Discovery Gardens. 
Carter does NOT like to wear jeans anymore.  All he wants to wear are his "comfy pants."  I totally understand, but I usually force him into something else when we go somewhere.  Then he can come home and immediately switch into his comfy pants like I do.  It wouldn't be fair if he got to wear his all day, every day.  ;)  He got away with it this day because I knew they'd probably be getting wet in the Discovery Gardens.
 My awesome group -
 It was really fun trying to keep track of them in a HEDGE MAZE and "BEAR CAVES."  ;)
He also had his 3rd grade program.  They sang a bunch of patriotic songs and I LOVED it!
 Unfortunately, these are the best pictures I have.  In my defense, I WAS videotaping at the same time...
Lydia participated in the 1st grade Jump-a-thon.  Thirty-three jumps! Go Lydia!
She also had another "mismatched" day.
Carter's class earned a field trip to the park.  It was rainy, cold, and one of the windiest days of the year and I was in charge of the parachute.  My arms hurt for a week after that, but the kids had a great time so it was worth it. 
 Carter and his friend Warren on "Park Day."
Carter was also Student of the Month in April.  Good job Buddy!
He completed and presented his project on Mali, Africa.  I especially loved his snake drawing.  Is it sad that I actually enjoyed researching Mali with him?  I kept telling him facts that he didn't even need to know for his project.  I think my brain must be bored.
I also went with Lydia on her field trip to the zoo.  Honestly, I think the 1st graders were A LITTLE bit easier to keep track of than the 3rd graders.  What's up with that?
My cute little group -
Carter also had his pinewood derby.  His car wasn't as successful as last year, and it broke my heart to see his disappointed face after the race.  I know these kind of events are important to teach them good sportsmanship whether they win or lose, but couldn't my kid just win all the time?  ;)
I also helped on Field Day and unfortunately, I was too busy to take pictures.  I did take a picture later on though -
BLISTERS!  I haven't had blisters on my hands in 20 YEARS!  I volunteered to be in charge of the tug-of-war during Carter's field day and my competitive nature came out and I just had to join in with the kids.  Especially when we did girls vs. boys and the boys thought they were all tough.  Then I was assigned the parachute for Lydia's round.  It was slightly less windy than Park Day but it was still pretty strenuous.  Let me just say, I am apparently TOO OLD and OUT OF SHAPE to be participating in tug-of-wars and Field Days.  Along with my poor hands, my back and shoulders were sore for DAYS!  It was ridiculous.  Next year if I don't get assigned to pass out popcicles I'm walkin'.  ;) 

It was an extremely busy and exciting end to the school year, and we all had lots of fun.  I really appreciate Bob and Jill for taking care of my young ones during all the HOURS that I was gone volunteering.  I'm SO grateful that I have the opportunity to see my kids having fun at all their various activities.  I think our crazy schedule these last few weeks make me appreciate these wonderful relaxed summer days EVEN MORE.  Happy summer everyone!

1 comment:

Ben and Taryn said...

33 jumps!! Awesome job Lydies!! And good for you doing field day...that is one event I have yet to get the nerve to volunteer for.